Happy Earth Day 2016!
April 22, 2016 marks the 46th annual #EarthDay. What better to celebrate Earth Day 2016 than by planting a tree (or 10)! I’ve put together some awesome articles so that you can plant your #earthday trees and keep them healthy! There are also lots of other ways to participate in Earth Day 2016. Find out who’s giving out the free goods and discounts this year!
I am in LOVE with this tree. It’s got year round interest with it’s beautiful bark, white spring flowers, edible summer berries, and blazing fall color! Maybe I’m biased, but I think it’s the perfect planting choice for Earth Day 2016. View photo updates of my own tree from season to season since 2013, and learn how to plant and care for this gorgeous tree.
In this post, I also discuss other tree options for your front yard. I also talk about
- Tree Features: such as flowers, leaf color, bark, and trunk/branching structures.
- Environment: Space requirements, sun/shade requirements, soil types, diseases, and hardiness zones.
- Watering: Use my equation to determine how much water your new tree needs and how to properly water it easily.
- Tree suggestions: Learn about other great options for your front yard tree, including Snowdrift Crabapple, Japanese Maple, and Kousa Dogwood.
Learn about different tree options and how to choose the perfect tree for your front yard.
I just love ornamental trees. And landscaping and gardening in general. This post talks about some GREAT options for ornamental trees that will work for Zone 5. Some of my top picks include the Serviceberry, Japanese Maple, Snowdrift Crabapple, Kousa & Stellar Pink Dogwoods, and the Japanese Lilac.
What Blooms with What?
Never know what to plant together? Find out with this FREE Plant Pairing Guide and become a pro at combining plants for the best garden design possible!
Privacy trees are a great option. You can plant a whole row for Earth Day 2016. I planted 30 of these in my backyard! Check out my post to learn how to space them, plant them, and water them properly.
Don’t have a lot of space? That’s ok, you can still participate in Earth Day 2016. Check out my post on some amazing evergreen shrubs that will perfectly tuck right into your existing landscape. Learn how to combine different evergreen shrubs, and view some of my favorite evergreen shrub picks. With so many options, you wont even be able to decide which to plant for Earth Day 2016?
How about one of each 🙂
Other Ways To Participate in Earth Day 2016
- Find an Earth Day 2016 Event in your Area
- Free admittance to all National Parks
- Eddie Bauer with plant one tree for every $1 donation (up to 75,000) made through Sunday
- Whole foods is offering 25% off of a variety of its 365 Everyday Value products
- Enjoy a 30% discount when you trade in old clothes at H&M (double the normal deduction!)
- Uber is offering riders in New York a $5 flat UberPOOL rate through Sunday in celebration of Earth Day 2016.
- If you’ve purchased a Mother Earth tumbler from Caibou Coffee, you can get a free cup of Joe today, and for the rest of the month!
- Reusable bags are being distributed at Traget, T.J. Maxx, and The Disney Store.