The ultimate list of gardening resources like books, worksheets and products. These are some of my absolute favorite gardening resources for DIY home landscapers.
Every item on this list is something that I have tried and/or currently own and would STILL recommend… that means that I love them and would buy them again. I take my recommendations very seriously so if you’ve used any of these products and had a bad experience, please let me know. Please note that I may earn a commission when you shop through links on this page.
- Shop All of My Book Recommendations on Amazon
- Green Conspiracy Garden Planner (Etsy)
- Books About Landscape and Planting Design
- The Know Maintenance Perennial Garden by Roy Diblick
- From Art to Landscape: Unleashing Creativity in Garden Design by W. Gary Smith
- Kiss My Aster: A Graphic Guide to Creating a Fantastic Yard Totally Tailored to You by Amanda Thomsen
- The Four-Season Landscape: Easy-Care Plants and Plans for Year-Round Color by Susan Roth
- The Nonstop Garden: A Step-by-Step Guide to Smart Plant Choices and Four-Season Designs by Jennifer Benner
- Gardening with Foliage First by Karen Chapman and Christina Salwitz
- Books About Native Plants & Naturalistic Planting Design
- Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes by Thomas Rainer and Claudia West
- Naturalistic Planting Design The Essential Guide by Nigel Dunnett
- Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants by Doug Tallamy
- New Naturalism: Designing and Planting a Resilient, Ecologically Vibrant home Garden by Kelly D. Norris
- The Living Landscape: Designing for Beauty and Biodiversity in the Home Garden by Rick Darke and Doug Tallamy
- Planting: A New Perspective by Piet Oudolf and Noel Kingsbury
- Misc. Gardening Books
- The Weekend Garden Guide: Work-Saving Ways to a Beautiful Backyard by Susan Roth
- The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America by David Allen Sibley
- Cool Flowers: How to Grow and Enjoy Long-Blooming Hardy Annual Flowers Using Cool Weather Techniques by Lisa Mason Ziegler
- Garden Rooms: Create and Decorate Outdoor Space by Catriona Tudor Erler and Linda Bellamy
- Cultivating Garden Style: Inspired Ideas and Practical Advice to Unleash Your Garden Personality by Rochelle Greayer
- Principles of Gardening: The Practice of the Gardener’s Art by Hugh Johnson (great overall reference book for new gardeners)
- See Also: My Favorite Gardening Books for 4 Season Gardeners
Water, Soil, etc.
- Shop All of My Water/Soil Recommendations on Amazon
- Soaker Garden Hose
- Taklife Expandable Water Hose
- Melnor Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
- Tree Mulch Ring Weed Preventer
- Treegator Slow Release Watering Bag for Trees
- Easy-Read Magnifying Rain Gauge
- 7 Day Digital Programmable Timer – great for grow lights or managing watering schedules.
- Soil Test Kit Meter (test soil pH, moisture and sunlight)
- Rapitest Soil Test Kit
Fertilizers & Weed Prevention
- Shop All of My Fertilizer and Weed Prevention Recommendations on Amazon
- Espoma Products: I have used several Espoma products and would recommend this company if you are interested in using organic fertilizers that work in harmony with nature.
- Bonide Burn-Out Weed Killer – made with natural ingredients, this type of weed killer doesn’t work as well as chemical ones and may need multiple applications to be effective. I still use it because it’s safe for people, pets and the environment.
- Dr. Earth Flower Girl Bud & Bloom Booster (People & Pet Safe)
- Nature’s Care Organic Bone Meal by Miracle-Gro
- Propane Torch Weed Burner
Order Trees, Plants & Bulbs Online
- Nature Hills Nursery
- Fast Growing Trees
- Read This Before Ordering Plants Online
- Check out 9 Online Nurseries You Can Trust (and 1 You Can’t)
Gift Ideas, Kits, Subscription Boxes
- Plant & Garden Subscription Boxes from Cratejoy
- Bloomin’ Bin – A gardening subscription box for all skill levels. From $7.75/mo.
- My Garden Box – Creative and crafty garden collections. Includes live plants and everything else you need. From $35.50/mo.
- The Succulent Source – Succulents and Cactus of the Month – 5 unique succulent and cactus plants. From $27.00/mo.
- Succulents Monthly – Get a high-quality, curated collection of succulent plants, pots, media, and fun gardening goodies! From $17.41/mo.
- Craftsy – Unleash Your Creativity Project kits, supplies and video content to help you master what you love.
- Shop All of My Gardening Tool Recommendations on Amazon
- Dewit gardening tools – Dewit makes wonderful, high-quality gardening tools. I have had them for years.
- Fiskars stand up weed puller – I absolutely love this weeder and use it all the time.
- Fiskars transplanting spade – This is a great multi-purpose, high quality garden shovel.
- Sun Joe Electric Tiller and Cultivator (16″ 12amp) – I really like the combination of power and ease of handling with this tiller.
- HytekGro LED Grow Lights – 45W panel grow lights I use these and like them a lot.
- Slim Soft Ties – These are flexible wires wrapped in a green rubber coating. Great for tying up your plants while blending into the landscape.
- Thick Kneeling Pad – Great to have to protect your knees and keep yourself comfortable and dry.
- Dewalt 20v Lithium Drill Driver/Impact Combo Kit
- EGO Power+ 21″ 56V Electric Lawn Mower
- WORX Cordless String Trimmer
- Dual Chamber Tumbling Composter Bin
- Gorilla Cart Garden Dump Cart
- Laser Distance Measure by Bosch
This page may contain affiliate links to supplies, tools or specific products I’m recommending. There is no cost to you for using these links and they may provide me with a small commission. Please visit my site policies for more information.